My photo
Life = Art = Life. Welcome to my blog about my acting work in film and tv, the music I write and play, the cycling I am addicted to, the photography I cherish...and all of the other things I like to do. I have just completed cycling the 2010 1000Mile Challenge, an 1100+mile long cycle journey from Land's End in Cornwall (UK) to John O'Groats, Scotland. We are making a human drama/travel documentary of the ride, which we completed in 10 days. Yes, that's an average of a cool 110miles a day, but there were some 135mile days in there too... So hook up, jump on, tuck in and enjoy the drama! Allez, allez!

Thursday 20 May 2010

T minus 2. And the sleep deficit now stands at a ridiculous level...

I am so tired. Exhausted is the word. And rather cheesed off too I must admit. It has now been a week, working until 3, 4 or even 5 in the morning at the tv production company..then getting up at 9 to crawl behind my desk at home by 9.30 accompanied by a large mug of strong coffee to sort out the last bits before the ride kicks off. It's unlikely I will have time to build up my nice lightweight carbon bike for the 1100 miles ahead and have resigned myself to using the rather heavy alloy racing bike I use for commuting and training. Not happy is an understatement.

I feel - rightly or wrongly - that I am doing all of this by myself. Despite several meetings over the past few months with the other guys in the group and dozens of emails I have sent out asking them for logo's to go on jerseys and assistance in organising it seems that all has fallen on my shoulders. So far all of the sponsors that have come on board are there because of my efforts. As are the blogs on RoadCyclingUK and BikeMagic, the quiet and beautiful route over the small white roads, pre-production for the documentary, sourcing of camera equipment, getting voice over artists, a soundtrack composer, an editor, bike spares, a driver now that Janine has decided to drop out at the last minute, a cameraman, team clothing, visits to Eden Project and Wookey Hole, and so on. And tomorrow, well, later on today actually, looking at the clock, I will need to get our jerseys made up.

In a way I can't blame the others though. We never did make clear agreements on task division and as I am hell-bent on getting the maximum returns for the efforts put in I have gone all-out. And if you want something done well you have to do it yourself. In the process I have probably put the bar a little high though. But then that is what the word Challenge in the name of our ride stands for. My impression is that the rest just want to cycle, and raise a bit of money for charity. More publicity means more publicity for the charities and the excellent work they do though, and will also boost donations, so I regard it as imperative that the filming, photography and twitter and blogs and so on are well organised. Problem is that there are so many things on my plate I often don't know where to start...and it is 5 in the morning already...
AAAAAARRGGHHH!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment